Date:      Tue, 4 Aug 1998 06:13:04 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Sascha Schumann <sas@schell.de>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        William Woods <wwoods@cybcon.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BASH prompt question

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Studded wrote:

> Sascha Schumann wrote:

> > >       Why are you inserting a test to accomplish something that bash does by
> > > default?
> >
> > Because it's not default nor done automatically.
> >
> > I don't like to quote documents everybody has. But if people are too lazy
> > to look at it, I have to do it...
>
> 	There's no reason to be rude. In point of fact I have read the system
> docs on bash, and quite a bit of supplementary literature. :)

Yeah, coffee was out. Since my last email I drunk some cups so it should
be better now ;)

> >   o use sth else to login remotely
>
> 	I'm not familiar with sth. Another option for the su case that I've
> been using very successfully is the --rcfile option. I have an alias
> like this:
>
> alias rootme='/usr/bin/su -m root --rcfile $HOME/.bash_profile'
>
> which allows me both to have the option of carrying my native
> environment around or just using su if I want the root environment.

You would get the same result with a `su -' while a simple `su' leaves
your native env. Thats what the first paragraph of the INVOCATION part of
bash (1) is about.

> There are other ways of accomplishing this using combinations of
> .bash_profile and .bashrc files, but I've found that this system works
> well for me.

It can be very tricky. I generally put everything global in /etc/profile,
additional paths in .bash_profile and alias'es in .bashrc. It works and if
not, I'll change it ;)

Regardz,
             Sascha