Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 96 12:02:50 -0600
From:      Ben Black <black@squid.gage.com>
To:        "Jesse" <way7ruin@bah2.themall.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUBNET?

>I though that they woulod assign us a subnet, and map it through
>directly to use. That way, say, our web server, would have a URL like
>http://www.homestudy.edu, not http://www.homestudy.nasa.gov like they
>apparently are thinking. Wouldn;t we go through the InterNIC for our
>addresses?

1) traceroutes would show your server as being inside the nasa network.

2) you would NOT get your network from InterNIC.  you would either get a
network directly from NASA or from whoever they are using for their net
connection.  the major cause of all the routing table explosions is having to
route individual class c networks.  they are now allocated to providers in
blocks and the providers give them to customers.

b3n