Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 2012 13:50:39 -0500
From:      Super Bisquit <superbisquit@gmail.com>
To:        "Kevin H. Patterson" <kpatterson.home@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE on PowerMac Dual G5

.

Try cd /usr/src and look at sys/dev at the codes there <- My opinion
and the way I recently started looking at hardware errors, those
mentioned in the list above arew better at it.

On 2/19/12, Kevin H. Patterson <kpatterson.home@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am interested in raw cpu integer and floating-point performance only, at
> this point. This is *exactly* what simple synthetic benchmarks (like ubench)
> are for. There is absolutely NO reason why performance should be 3x better
> running under macosx than under freebsd, on the exact same hardware.

Things happen that way. I've ran a firefox benchmark on different
architecture running different systems and received different results.

> FWIW, I ran these benchmarks repeatedly, as root, after a clean boot, with
> no window manager or other processes running. 'top' shows the cpus maxed out
> on both macosx and freebsd. Under macosx, on the other hand, with the full
> macosx GUI et. al. running, the numbers are about 3x better.

There's also the fact that Apple concentrated its efforts on the
Power(PC) architecture. FreeBSD is not a single instance system- by
this I mean an all-in-one hardware and software- such as MacOSX or
Windows.
> I have also run a number of other benchmarks, as well as compiling various
> things like x11/gnome2, etc. It is all about 2-3x slower to build under
> freebsd.
>
> At this point the strongest evidence points to the G5 clock / bus speeds not
> being set up properly under freebsd. I am wondering who might have more info
> on checking this out.

Probably Whitehorn, HIbbits, and Grehan