Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 2002 06:45:17 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        imp@bsdimp.com (M. Warner Losh)
Cc:        daved@nostrum.com, freebsd@guldan.demon.nl, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, erik@pentadon.com
Subject:   Re: (Retry) Bridging a wi-device with a LAN-adapter

> In message: <131F69C1-A1AE-11D6-9CAF-0003930B3DA4@nostrum.com>
>             David J Duchscher <daved@nostrum.com> writes:
> : I have been playing with bridging with wi driver (in hostap mode)
> : the last few days and have seen some interesting behavior.  For one,
> : performance falls through the floor.  This seem related to
> : promiscuous mode and maybe associated with hostap mode.  Performance
> : of ng_bridge and BRIDGE came out the same.  On ng_bridge, I turned
> : off promiscuous mode on the wi interface and things still worked.
> : Performance also went back up to pre bridging levels.  I have no
> : idea why and haven't had time to play more.
>
> I was at a party tonight with Todd Miller, who lives in the area and
> did a lot of the OpenBSD hostap work.  He tells me that if you are in
> promiscuous mode, that hostap performance falls to heck (1Mbps), but
> if you take it out of promiscuous mode performance returns.  One of
> the changes in OpenBSD that I have on my to look at list is related to
> this.

You do realise that you don't need it in promiscious mode if you want
to do bridging? I do bridging with it (using netgraph), I just don't
put it in promiscious mode. I basically took the script
/usr/share/examples/netgraph/ether.bridge and hacked it to not put the
wi driver in promiscious mode.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za / jhay@FreeBSD.org