Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2012 21:17:08 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Walter Hurry <walterhurry@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Understanding XDM

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 22:19:54 +0200, Christian Graulund wrote:

> Hello Guys,
>
> I just install FreeBSD 9, and after compiling Xorg, I started trying to
> figure out how to install a Window Manager.
> When Following the handbook, I suggest installing XDM. I want to use
> something like Openbox, as my window manager, and I can't figure out if
> Openbox is a replacement for XDM, or something on top of XDM. I now
> there are alternative to XDM directly like LightDM ect., but the same
> questions applies to them.
>
> So what is the function of XDM (or alternatives), and is it necessary to
> have to run a WM, or DE for that sake?

XDM is not a window manager - it is a display manager. In short it
provides a GUI login and then starts your window manager of choice.

So if you want a GUI login and a GUI DE, you need both a DM and an WM.

I use XDM + Openbox, and it works very well indeed for me. Vastly
preferable to some heavyweight like GDM, IMHO.

The handbook provides excellent guidance on installing and configuring
XDM.