Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 1997 21:06:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>
To:        nsj@freefall.freebsd.org (Nate Johnson)
Cc:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

> What's the scoop on adding a file to the makefile for www?  notes.sgml,
> who lives in data/releases/2.2.1R, needs an entry.  What's the filename
> of the Makefile, so that I can do this myself in the future?

Hi Nate,

I just happened commit the necessary changes, but for the future,
when you add a new releases directory, you need to:

1) Add a Makefile in that new directory. The filename (easily
   enough) should be "Makefile". You can simply copy the Makefile
   from one of the other release subdirectories and modify it to
   suit your needs (modify the DOCS variable to contain all the
   .sgml pages in this new directory.)

   So, the 2.2.1R Makefile will look like:

      DOCS= notes.sgml

      .include "../../web.mk"

   Also do the 'cvs add Makefile <other-files-here>' as appropriate.

2) Modify www/data/releases/Makefile, so its SUBDIR variable
   contains the new directory. The line looks something like:

      SUBDIR=  1.1 1.1.5 2.0 2.0.5A 2.0.5R (...etc...)

   so we just need to add "2.2.1R" at the end.

Anyhow, when you have a chance, do a 'cvs update' within your
cvs working directory and browse through the Makefiles in
releases/ and its subdirectory.

For new releases, try to html-ize the announcement (announce.html)
and the README file, as well as the release notes. Then, in addition
to the above:

3) Update www/data/includes.sgml (the a.latest.not and a.latest.ann
   macros needs to point to the new files), and

4) Update releases/index.sgml so the "Current Releases" reflect
   this new release. Move the old release to the "Past Releases"
   section.

I haven't done step 3) nor 4) above... the net-lag from my machine
to freefall is unbearable right now. =-(

Thanks!

-Ade
Inet: mbarkah@hemi.com - HEMISPHERE ONLINE - <http://www.hemi.com/>;