Date:      Fri, 09 Jan 2015 14:42:46 +0100
From:      Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIND REPLACE_BASE option

+--On 8 janvier 2015 19:44:09 -0800 Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us> wrote:
| Can you please explain why this option was removed? It's been in the
| ports for over 13 years, and lots of users utilized it.
|
| I realize that BIND is no longer in the base in 10.x, but that would
| be a reason to make the option conditional, to continue to support the
| substantial user base that is still on 8.x and 9.x.

I only removed it from bind99, it was never there in bind910.  I removed it
because it was a poor design idea to begin with, and it was making the port
harder to maintain.  Also, it was overwriting files in the base system,
which is a thing we do not want to do.

All you need to do is add:

named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"

to your rc.conf, like the message says when you install the port.

It was a bit like the /usr/bin/perl symlink, it was time for it to go.

--
Mathieu Arnold