Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 1995 11:08:53 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com (Harlan Stenn)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users), core@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc and "rm -f /var/spool/lock/*"

[Moved to -current, no need to discuss this in -core.]

As Harlan Stenn wrote:

> I am starting a "ppp -auto" from /etc/netstart.
>
> Assuming this is a reasonable thing for folks to do, the "rm -f
> /var/spool/lock/*" in /etc/rc is "too late".  Since I get spontaneous
> reboots with "ppp -auto whatever" anyway, sometimes an "old" lock file
> remains.  I moved the "rm -f /var/spool/lock/*" to before the call to
> rc.serial.

Basically means that iijppp is broken in this respect.  Clients are
encouraged to examine an existing lock file to see if it's a stale
lock (by trying to send a signal to the process).  It's safe for them
to remove the lock file if the process holding the lock disappeared.

Lock files suck.  They should not be used at all, and the only client
that really needs them right now is mgetty.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/