Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 21:23:16 +0200
From:      <hostmaster@domainbank.at>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Restore fails!!!

Hi!

I've been reading many messages in the archive about dump/restore,
but I didn't find anything due to my problem.

I dumped my devices /dev/ad0s1X to normal files on a 2nd drive with:
# dump -0 -B 20000000 -f ad0s1X.dump /dev/ad0s1X

On a pristine new filesystem /dev/ad0s1, mounted on /mnt in FIXIT mode
I successfully could restore "ad0s1a.dump", "ad0s1e.dump", "ad0s1g.dump"
BUT NOT "ad0s1f.dump"? (see /etc/fstab below)

When restoring "ad0s1f.dump" RESTORE spits out a lot of warnings like:

Warning: '.' missing from directory ./shared.....
Warning: '..' missing from directory ./shared....
.
Expect next file 312342, got 234234
Expect next file 234234 got 3423423
.
.
can't find directory inode 3
can't find directiry inode 8

Any ideas?
Regards, Johannes

/etc/fstab:

/dev/ad0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/ad0s1e             /home           ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s1f             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s1g             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/acd0c              /cdrom  cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0