Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 15:21:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Dan Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Subject:   Re: Request for review: getcontext, setcontext, etc

On 10-Jan-02 Terry Lambert wrote:
>> Huh?  Methinks Terry needs to make assume the world is just a *teeny*
>> bit larger than his narrow-view.
>
> There are several real reasons for threading, and a lot of bogus
> ones.  The primary reason given these days is SMP scalability,
> even though I don't see anyone carrying this to its logical
> conclusion by interleaving seperate thread instructions to the
> Pentium 4 processors, which reall do perform better than the
> Pentium 3's, but only if you do that.

Actually, there is some thought about that.  If you allow multiple threads to
run on a KSE then you can do this.

>> Even simple statistics use FP math.  You're implying that FPU should
>> only be used by folks who have a real *NEED* for it, which is humerous
>> considering you're the one who usually bangs on the drum to make FreeBSD
>> useful for more folks. :)
>
> I think I lost that battle when it was decided that FreeBSD
> straight off a CDROM distribution will no longer run on the
> 386, which was an inevitability as soon as we started needing
> to "harvet entropy" just to boot.

Actually, no, it was mroe due to the 386 not having cmpxchgl and that making
GENERIC use the slow version that disabled interrupts and what not was a rather
large performance hit for all the 486's, Pentium, PPro's, PII's, P3's, P4's,
K5's, K6's, K7's, etc. out there.  You can still build a 386 kernel if you
want. :)