Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:11:21 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VLAN's

At 09:58 AM 8/15/01 -0700, Mike Hogsett wrote:

>Thanks this is very helpful.  I have been banging on it this morning.
>I am using a Cisco Cat 5000 series swtich.  Which trunk type should I
>be using?  I have tried both "isl" and "dot1q" and neither are working
>at the moment...

Not ISL as its a proprietary Cisco protocol.  A sample setup would be
something like

!
interface FastEthernet0/4
  description trunk-gateway-example
  duplex full
  speed 100
  switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
  switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,100,102-150,1002-1005
  switchport mode trunk
!

interface FastEthernet0/2
  description wat-border-int
  duplex full
  speed 100
  switchport access vlan 102
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
  description wat-border-int
  duplex full
  speed 100
  switchport access vlan 103
!

Plug in your VLAN enabled FreeBSD box to port 4 of the cat.  On it try

/sbin/ifconfig vlan0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.240 vlan 102 vlandev
fxp1 mtu 1500 up

/sbin/ifconfig vlan1 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.240 vlan 103 vlandev fxp1
mtu 1500 up

On port 2 of your cisco, you have a plain jane IP device with the IP
192.168.1.2/28
On port 1 of your cisco, you have a plain jane IP device with the IP
10.0.0.2/28

 From the FreeBSD VLAN box you should be able to do a ping 192.168.1.2 and
ping 10.0.0.2.  Then try swapping the cables in ports 1 and 2. The devices
will not be able to talk to each other or the FreeBSD box if all is setup
correctly.