Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 07:58:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        Adam Nealis <adamn@csl.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: routed/gated confusion

Only 1 comment:

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Dan Busarow wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Adam Nealis wrote:
> > I've read the on-line handbook, the FAQ, searched the mail
> >  o If I use route add, what do I add? Where do I put these
> > commands so /etc/rc runs them?
>
> In /etc/rc.conf, oops, /etc/defaults/rc.conf
>
> static_routes="IN"
> route_IN="10.0.0.0 -netmask 255.255.0.0 192.168.0.4"

I believe this to be incorrect, /etc/rc.conf is the correct place.  If the
above commands are put in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, then they run the risk of
being deleted when /etc/defaults/rc.conf is modified in a new version of
FreeBSD, and dumped over the copy of the old one, to provide a new set of
system defaults.

Overrides to defaults go in /etc/rc.conf...