Date:      Sat, 13 Oct 2001 12:00:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org>
Cc:        jrossiter@symantec.com, sos@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Severe I/O Problems

> > Erm, this would make this the first report of "interference effects"
> > I've ever heard, certainly.  Doesn't make it untrue, just subject to a
> > bit more initial skepticism.  Is this truly the only variable that's
> > changing?  Are we sure that the drives in question aren't simply
> > broken in some way and manifesting this behavior as an aberration
> > among IDE drives?  Have different manufacturer's units been involved
> > in cross-testing?  Thanks.
> >
> > - Jordan

Just following up myself on this... with a drive on my PC164 Alpha, the
realtime difference between two different checkouts of cvs src is interesting:

-------------

Script started on Sat Oct 13 10:07:07 2001
farrago.feral.com > # this is with wc off
farrago.feral.com > /usr/bin/time cvs -q -d /home/ncvs co src > LOG
     2478.99 real       201.48 user      1046.87 sys
farrago.feral.com > exit
exit

Script done on Sat Oct 13 10:55:36 2001
Script started on Sat Oct 13 11:04:06 2001
farrago.feral.com > # this is with wc on
farrago.feral.com >  /usr/bin/time cvs -q -d /home/ncvs co src > LOG
     2866.82 real       199.92 user       988.24 sys
farrago.feral.com > exit
exit

Script done on Sat Oct 13 11:57:51 2001

All parameters were not totally lab controlled, but pretty close. I'd call it
significant enough that I'll leave WC off for this machine.

-matt