Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 1996 10:16:43 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Calling st_unmount for nrst* devices

>>I don't like the fact that after closing the nrst* devices, we
>>don't reenable the eject button.  In fact, although I haven't
>>tracked down exactly why, even if you rewind the tape via an "mt
>>rewind" after doing some operations on the nrst* devices, the drive
>>is still locked.  I think  these patches fix the problem, but I'll
>
>Isn't this behaviour a fundamental part of the idea of a "mount
>session"?  See st.4.

Then I think the man page should be changed.  If you want special
settings for an rst* session, you must use the control device.
Why should nrst* devices be special in that you can close one,
run some mt commands on the same device, and expect them to stick
for the following open?

My main gripe has to do with preventing media removal when the
device is closed, so I could implement this another way, to maintain
the "mount session" behavior, but I think the current "mount session"
is confusing at best.

>Perhaps there should be another special minor or 3 to give modes
>with different eject behaviour.  OTOH, there may already be too many
>minors and too many variations to control with minor bits.  Perhaps
>more emphasis could be placed on using the control minor (or direct
>ioctls) to set local preferences.  This approach seems to work OK
>for ttys.  Perhaps it could be improved by adding a standard devices
>and more programmable sub-devices:

I think that the control device should be sufficient.  I realy don't
see how the curren't behavior replaces using the contrl device.  I guess
you could open nrst*, do a rewind, do some mt stuff to it, then do your
dumps, but why go through a middle man when you can simply set the
control device?

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations