Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 2002 17:04:28 +0100
From:      Mark Rowlands <fuc952d@tninet.se>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   couple of vinum questions from a vinum newbie.

I have decided to dip my toe into the vinum waters primarily for improved read
performance, not redundancy or reliability. I have backups for that  ;-).

I have two questions, one related to optimal stripe size and one to gathering
statistics.

I have a freshly cvsupped 4.7 stable currently installed on a 30g single disk
I propose to add a second 30gb disk as a mirror of this. and to add two new
identical disks (maxtor fdb-9 120gb) and create a striped volume for data on
those.

I propose (maybe) to create a single striped volume but...... what stripe
size? Reading the various vinum docs and looking at some of the samples
I found lying around the web left me a touch confused.

There are two categories of files on  the data disk, largeish ( 4-5mb) which
are most frequently accessed but the overwhelming majority of files are much
smaller  (<4k) but not accessed so frequently.

So, is it better to try and optimize for the most frequently accessed, or the
filesize that comprises the bulk of file accesses? or better to create two
volumes with different stripe sizes. In either case, if anyone has any
concrete recommendations, I would welcome them.

When the new hardware arrives, (about a week), I will probably run some tests
with varying stripe-sizes and see what happens but any pointers towards
likely good starting points......