Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2001 12:01:15 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        "Daniel Chayvialle chez Wanadoo Cable, mail LaPoste" <daniel.chayvialle@laposte.net>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: setting up a gateway

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Daniel Chayvialle chez Wanadoo Cable, mail LaPoste wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry but I cannot find how to set up a FreeBSD machine to act as a
> gateway between a local network and my cable ISP. I can't find enough
> infiormation in the various docs on the site. I've read the PPP and
> various related topics but to no avail.

http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd

there is a doc called "setting up a cable modem"

The computers on the internal LAN must use your firewall as your
default gateway. The default gateway must be directly connected to
the computer. That is: if the internal IP of your firewall is 192.168.1.1
the Pcs on the internal LAN should be configured to use 192.168.1.1
as your default gateway. Then, the firewall knows how to reach your ISP,
your ISP knows how to reach their uplink, and so on until the packet
reaches its destination.

[snip]

> has already detected other Ethernet addresses using the 192.168.1.1 IP
> address (arp messages). How is it possible as this address should be
> private and not seen outside?

Because the ISPs aren't doing their homework and dont filter those packets
Look at your firewall logs and get enlighted =0). You wouldn't believe
the things i've seen on firewall or IDS logs.

[snip]
> rc.conf:
> network_interfaces="ed0 ep0 lo0"
> ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"  # with the new trouble, it is not configured any
> more
> ifconfig_ep0="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
> hostname="Datajet3com.27Vert"
> gateway_enable="YES"
> inetd_enable="YES"
> natd_enable="YES"
> natd_interface="ed0"
> natd_flags="-dynamic -redirect_port tcp 192.168.1.74:80 80"  #this is
> one of the addresses I plan to give to on of the Windows boxes
> default_router="62.161.72.1"  #that of my ISP, known from winipcfg. I

You shouldn't need to configure your default router. Your ISP should
configure it automagicaly via DHCP.

Hope this helps.

			Fer