Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 14:32:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu>
To:        Scott Northcutt <snorthcutt@1stresource.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gateway?

On Thu, 28 Dec 1995, Scott Northcutt wrote:

> Howdy folks,
>         Off hand, does anyone know about the FreeBSD track record of systems
> from Gateway 2000.  I've got a Gateway Pentium 75 (40M RAM, 300M partition
> for BSD, PCI, unsure of exact graphics card) at work which is fairly
> successfully running 2.1 but not X yet.  If anyone else has gotten a Gateway
> to go (particularly X with the ps2 type mouse), please pass along any do's,
> don'ts, hints and caveats.  Thanks!
> virtual regards,
> --J. Scott Northcutt

I have had good luck with a couple of GW2K's.  I have a P4D-66 with 64MB
RAM & 2 Adaptec 2940 SCSI controllers as a news server and a P5-90 with
64MB RAM and 1 2940 as our site's main timesharing system.  FreeBSD 2.0.5
installed on both without problems.  Both systems have been solid -- the
486 has been running for over a year now, and the Pentium has been running
since July -- except for a problem I created on the 486 due to an apparent
incompatibility between two different SCSI drives on the same SCSI bus.

With both systems, I was able to run X with a kernel configured to
recognize the PS/2-style mouse without any problems.  I did have trouble
with keyboard lockups on the 486 when I was using FreeBSD 1.1.5.1, but I
haven't noticed the problem under 2.x.

Unfortunately, we don't have any better luck with Gateway tech support
than anyone else even though we're only a couple hours up I-29 from the
factory... (We have a lot of GW2K machines for our Windows users)

Guy Helmer, Dakota State University Computing Services - ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu