Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 12:55:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Missing sendmail.cf...

>Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 22:30:55 +0800 (WST)
>From: Dean Hollister <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>
>To: BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>

>> But then I saw that I had no /etc/sendmail.cf file! How come? Isn't 'make
>> world' supposed to recreate the /etc files?

>No. Do the following:

>bash# cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf
>bash# make freebsd.cf
>bash# cp freebsd.cf /etc/sendmail.cf

>Edit your new sendmail.cf to match your local requirements.

With respect for Dean's advice (which apparently has worked OK for
Antoine already), I suggest that it may be of value to consider making a
copy of freebsd.mc for a specific (type of) installation, modify that,
and then use "make" to create a customized .cf file.

For example, I have a "whistle.mc" that I used to create a "whistle.cf";
I use that .cf file for all internal UNIX machines that I set up (except
for the main internal mail hub).  I have another for that internal mail
hub, and another for the externally-visible MXs on our perimeter net.
(And machines such as our news server don't accept mail from external
machines.)

Basically, if you're to the point where you can be reasonably
comfortable configuring a kernel, using the "m4" mechanism to configure
a sendmail.cf should be fairly familiar.  There are certainly
differences -- but doing that (vs. changing the sendmail.cf) is like the
difference between changing the kernel config file vs. changing the
kernel sources:  yes, you can do it.  And if you know what you're doing,
you can do a good job of it.  And granted, you can break things either
way.  But the usefule part of our internal whistle.mc is merely:

include(`../m4/cf.m4')
VERSIONID(`@(#)whistle.mc       $Revision: 1.4 $')
OSTYPE(bsd4.4)dnl
FEATURE(`stickyhost')dnl
FEATURE(allmasquerade)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
FEATURE(use_ct_file)dnl
define(`confCT_FILE', `-o /etc/sendmail.ct')dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(`whistle.com')dnl
define(`confCHECKPOINT_INTERVAL', 4)dnl
define(`confAUTO_REBUILD', True)dnl
define(`LOCAL_RELAY', `whistle.com')dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl

-- and the masquerading probably isn't really necessary, nor are the 2
"conf*" defines (they are there because what was being used internally
before I got here was evidently using them, and I tend to be very
conservative about changes -- especially for email).

Basically, the "interesting" parts are
FEATURE(`stickyhost')dnl
define(`LOCAL_RELAY', `whistle.com')dnl

which says to send all mail addressed to <someone>@whistle.com to the
internal mail hub, but if mail is addressed to
<someone>@host.whistle.com, if the message gets to host.whistle.com, it
stays there.

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621