Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 19:54:44 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Subject:   Re: 3c589d w/ freebsd 3.3 works badly.

It seems Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > I don't know if this is the same issue, but I've seen terrible write
> > performance on my 3C589C under -CURRENT, and so has phk.  Read
> > performance is OK.  Looking at the hub, I see a short burst of
> > activity and then nothing for the rest of a second.  This repeats
> > itself in this manner.  No errors, but a write throughput of less than
> > 50 kB/s.  I've seen this before recent changes in -CURRENT, but it
> > seems worse now (or maybe I've just paid more attention to it now :-).
>
> This is a known problem under -CURRENT.  If you uncomment the
> printf() call in ep_if_watchdog() you will see that the TX queue is being
> flushed from the watchdog timeout.  This happens on all cards and busses
> I've tested (ISA, ISA PnP, EISA, MCA).  Others have reported it on PCMCIA.
>
> I've also received reports of the same watchdog timeouts under STABLE.
>
> I'm somewhat puzzled and have not been able to locate the problem.  I
> don't see any recent commits that could have caused the error.  I continue
> to work on solving this though.
>
> If anyone has any ideas by all means let me know.

There are more problems, -currently it has problems with pnp cards,

ep0: <3Com 3C509-TPO EtherLink III> at port 0x300-0x30f irq 10 on isa0
ep0: No irq?!
ep0: ep_alloc() failed! (6)
device_probe_and_attach: ep0 attach returned 6
ep1: <3Com 3C509B-TPO EtherLink III (PnP)> at port 0x210-0x21f irq 5 on isa0
ep1: Ethernet address 00:10:5a:9e:71:b1

I have only ONE card in there, with only "device ep0" in the config.
And yes I also see the performance problem..
I'm sorry to say so, but the ep driver has never been this broken before...

-Søren