Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 11:19:29 +0100
From:      Jamie Heckford <heckfordj@psi-domain.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LCD driver port (Linux -> FreeBSD) needed for car-mp3 player

Hello,

Been following this thread, and thought I would poke my nose
in.

We are in the process of writing a driver (heavily based on
LCDProc - http://lcdproc.omnipotent.net) and the source
for this seems to be pretty easy to work with.

The panel and driver board we are using hooks into a serial
port, I take it this is what you are looking for?

We will of course be releasing the driver BSD style license
when its finished :)

Just letting you know, check the LCDproc code, it is pretty solid.

Jamie

On 2001.04.30 10:17 Mike Smith wrote:

> > The software I am using in Linux (cajun - cajun.sourceforge.net)
> > requires a serial display to work. What the linux driver does is
> emulate
> > the serial display, and provides a /dev/lcd.
> >
> > As I am not a perl coder, I cannot modify Cajun to use the app you
> > wrote, And as I am not a C coder, I cannot modify what you wrote to
> behave
> > like the linux driver.
> >
> > Unless there is something already around that can take input in the way
> > /dev/cuaaX does, and then pump the data into what you wrote, I think
> that
> > the easiest way to do this is to make a driver for FreeBSD that behaves
> > exactly the way that the Linux driver does.
>
> Er, you're no great shakes at logic, either.
>
> "I can't fix the app, so someone else should write a driver" is what
> you've just said.
>
> I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and simply tell you that fixing
> the app will be a damn sight easier than writing this driver you're
> talking about.
>
> --
> ... every activity meets with opposition, everyone who acts has his
> rivals and unfortunately opponents also.  But not because people want
> to be opponents, rather because the tasks and relationships force
> people to take different points of view.  [Dr. Fritz Todt]
>            V I C T O R Y   N O T   V E N G E A N C E

Jamie Heckford
Network Operations Manager
Psi-Domain - Innovative Linux Solutions. Ask Us How.

FreeBSD - The power to serve

subscribe collective

email:  heckfordj@psi-domain.co.uk
web:    http://www.psi-domain.co.uk/