Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 18:40:22 -0400
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        Nick Hibma <n_hibma@calcaphon.com>, Paul Haddad <paul@pth.com>
Subject:   USB/Orb/kue/iopener/filesystem corruption

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 01:27:25PM -0400, Christopher Masto wrote:
> Regarding USB drives, I have been using the Orb "2.2GB" USB-SCSI
> version with some success.  There do seem to be some serious
> filesystem corruption problems, but I haven't had time to determine
> where they're coming from.  I often get corruption-related panics
> while trying to install packages, and fsck always finds a number of
> serious problems and removes about a dozen files (from /usr/lib
> mostly, so I'll eventually lose something important).  When I
> download something large, such as XFree86, the file's checksum
> comes out wrong and gzip fails with errors.

I tried this again last night.  I bought some new cartridges for the
Orb drive, and installed -current on one, built a kernel, and
installed quite a few packages by chrooting to it and pkg_adding them.
Big things, like XFree86.  I then built a kernel and booted it on
my laptop, using the Orb as a root filesystem.  Everything seemed
to go well, and fsck found no errors.

I then took it home and did the same thing on my i-opener.  It seemed
to work well, and I spent quite a bit of time trying to get X
configured properly (at which I didn't quite succeed, but that's
another story).  After a couple of hours, I plugged in a D-Link 650
(kue) ethernet, and ssh'd to another machine, on which I started to
FTP a few things.  After a couple of minutes, I got "kue0: watchdog
timeout" and seemed to stop transmitting packets.  I unplugged the
kue, plugged it back in, and got a panic (unfortunately I don't have
the details at the moment.. I'll try to record them tonight).

Upon rebooting, the filesystem was corrupted.  I brought it back today
to the same machine that I installed everything from yesterday, and
confirmed it:

** /dev/da0a (NO WRITE)
** Last Mounted on /
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=55632
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

CLEAR? no

UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=222216
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

CLEAR? no

UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=285768
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

CLEAR? no

** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
DUP/BAD  I=55632  OWNER=root MODE=100644
SIZE=2623 MTIME=Nov  5 22:14 1994
FILE=/usr/local/share/bx/translation/CP437

UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

REMOVE? no

BAD TYPE VALUE  I=55632  OWNER=root MODE=100644
SIZE=2623 MTIME=Nov  5 22:14 1994
FILE=/usr/local/share/bx/translation/CP437

UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

FIX? no

DUP/BAD  I=222216  OWNER=root MODE=40755
SIZE=2560 MTIME=Apr  3 22:03 2000
DIR=/usr/share/zoneinfo/America

UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

REMOVE? no

fsck: cannot find inode 222216

It happens with or without soft updates, by the way.  This time I
happened to have them on.

I can conclude from this that it's not the drive or the media, and it
doesn't appear to be the USB stack or umass driver.  I think that
something, when using the kue driver at the same time, is causing the
damage.  That's very odd, because I'm using the same D-Link ethernet
adapter that I've used for months with my laptop, and didn't have any
problems.  The only difference may be that they're compiled in to the
kernel now.

Next time I get a chance, I'll try:

  Filesystem-intensive activity without using kue at all, then a
  reboot and fsck.

  Simulating the i-opener situation with my laptop.

  Getting more details on the kernel panic.

This is bizzare.
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/