Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 14:03:38 -0600
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Controlling Cron Logging

Daniel Brown writes:
>It may not be wise to entirely remove cron from /var/log/syslog.  If
>something serious occurs and cron complains about it, generally it
>should still be logged to /var/log/syslog so it will not be overlooked.

	Good point.

>Try:
>
>*.info;auth.info;mail.warning;cron.warning	/var/log/syslog

	This is fine, now.  I did try the

 *.info;auth.info;mail.warning;cron.none	/var/log/syslog

directive and an odd thing happened.  The effect was as if that
whole line had been removed or commented out.  All logging to
syslog stopped but the /var/log/cron file did continue to receive
cron reports.

	I went back and re-read the syslog.conf man page and it
may well be that the none action modifies all the facilities
designated on that line and separated by ;'s.  The more I look at
that man page, the more I am not sure if we've got a bug on our
hands or not.

	The cron.warning directive, however, did get the behavior
I was looking for.  It is good to have the routine activity in a
log, but I am glad to know that if there is a real problem, it
will show up in syslog.

	Many thanks to each of you.

Martin McCormick