Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:42:08 +0800
From:      Calvin NG <calvinng@brel.com>
To:        Mike Zanker <mike@zanker.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make oddity

Greetings,

  I believe that is correct behaviour.  In fact, when you do a make in that
  directory, you should see a warning that the directory is not changed.

  e.g. Warning: Object directory not changed from original /usr/src/usr.sbin/makemap

  There is a variable that can be set to change the build direcrtory to the
  one with /usr/obj prefix.  I think MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX  or DESTDIR or something
  like that. (sorry, don't have the correct answer)

Regards,
/calvin

lines with :> are quotes from Mike Zanker's email
:> I've recently come back to FreeBSD after a couple of years' absence.
:> I'm now running/tracking 4.3-STABLE but I have noticed that after a
:> cvsup if I change to the source directory of a utility that, say, one
:> source file has changed in and do a "make", all files get recompiled -
:> not just the one that changed. This is even though there is an
:> existing set of object files in /usr/obj. In fact, after a few days,
:> if I change to the source directory of a utility that hasn't changed
:> at all it still recompiles everything.
:>
:> Now, back when I was running 3.x I'm sure that only the files that
:> changed would recompile. Has something been altered?
:>
:> Thanks,
:>
:> Mike
:> --
:> Mike Zanker           | abuse@zanker.org
:>
:> Replace "abuse" with "mike" for e-mail reply.
:>