Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2022 17:34:14 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using a FreeBSD desktop was somehting about dog food
References:  <38b7f44-6d54-fec6-c1f0-d3609d301687@safeport.com> <20220327132420.201da20c@archlinux> <20220327212421.adaee52ba708a058e5ef6bd8@sohara.org> <4f3edca7-45ec-b8ae-45dc-9648cced9bfe@kicp.uchicago.edu> <772cf4b0-9e26-3126-ec4b-bd91986883dd@kicp.uchicago.edu> <20220328055449.8a30774a61f3b298e778ae68@sohara.org> <20220328121115.7d368d32@bigus.dream-tech.com> <20220328213101.b4e8a7c447964ba025d30883@sohara.org>

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 21:31:01 +0100
"Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 12:11:15 -0700
> Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org> wrote:
> > What I don't understand is the implication that we are somehow ungrateful
> > and rude if we have to settle for what sometimes is -far- less. By
> > "settle" I mean the idea of "we should just shut up and take what we are
> > given".
>
> 	When we are talking about the product of volunteers using their
> free time and companies donating money, equipment and/or time then yes it is
> extremely rude to think that they should concentrate on what someone else
> wants done rather than what they want to do with their own time and
> resources.
>
> 	Open source projects have become so big that we tend to forget that
> for the most part they are the result of people scratching their own itches
> in their free time and freely giving away the results of their work. There
> is absolutely no reason to expect them to do anything other than precisely
> what they want to.

I would agree that it is -futile- to expect someone else whom you do not pay to
instantly focus on your issue. Where I disagree is this notion of
impoliteness, in the general case of someone who's issues with the software in
question aren't handled at all. (Edge cases a few sigmas off the mean where
someone gets annoyingly rabid at a developer for no good reason .... these are
-not- what I am talking about, and I suspect those edge cases might be -why-
you said what you said.)

Some open source projects (e.g. samba, Xorg, chromium, nginx, php, perl) are
almost required alternatives to handle real world issues for many users. As
well, if you care about security like I do, it's necessary for the project you
use to -be- open source.

If the operative ideas in open source are to move away from commercial
computing, liberate software, use more secure alternatives, use more flexible
alternatives, and getting more people to actually use open source, then I
claim that the -voluntary- efforts of taking care of other people's issues
*within reason* will properly express your support for the open source paradigm
in general.

In other words, I want devs to -want- to help more. :D

Putting open source out there -for people to use- and then saying "I'm not
fixing it ever" (an extrema, but illustrative) ... well I personally feel
-this- is at least in the same class of rude you allude to...especially if it's
useful software. If you are going to make your open source available to others
and then turn around and have an attitude (also an extrema, but also
illustrative) that "you can't tell me what to do" ... I will argue that this is
counter-purposed to the original idea of making the open source available to
use for others and also counter to the entire idea of open source as anything
other than someone else's bikeshed. Ostensibly, supporting open source that
100s of people or more use would be the polite thing to do.

I want to be clear that I am not expecting, advocating, or even implying any
-involuntary- or -forced- re-focusing of time.  To be very clear, I feel that
one of the big problems of human culture is this idea of forcing others to do
what they don't want to do. I'd like to say that my intention is anything but
this and I'll need to repeat this idea because my experiences tell me that
people will not understand where I am really coming from unless I repeat it many
times...and even then it might not be possible. :)

I also want to be clear that the above support I allude to actually -does-
happen on many projects, even some in FreeBSD. It doesn't often happen though,
and I have more than a few outstanding bug reports in the FreeBSD bugzilla that
have been sitting there for years.

The irony of -many- years of watching these lists oscillate between
"you can't force open source devs to do what you want" and "why don't more
people use FreeBSD" coupled with the commercialization and marketing
infestation of most for-pay software has forged my viewpoint in that crucible.
Why don't more people use FreeBSD (or by extension, open source)? Because they
need to get things done, a fair number of them would rather pay for someone
to go to who -will- fix the problem or issue, and most people want everything to
Just Work(tm). (How many times have -you- heard some manager or CEO say this
same thing about support and then say "because of this, we're going microsoft"?)

> 	When I first used FreeBSD it lacked support for QIC tape drives,
> so I started in on writing a driver for my tape drive and had it just
> starting to work when a fully finished one landed in the tree from
> somewhere else. When the window manager that I still use to this day lacked
> some features that I wanted I talked about it with the author and he agreed
> to accept patches if I could produce them - which I did.

Conversely, I have submitted patches for poudriere which have never -been-
accepted. I have to maintain them myself. This has never been frustrating
enough to me to mention except as an example, and part of my unwillingness to
mention the issues is I am convinced by experience that unless I post a
security issue they will be ignored. In FreeBSD, you can't get a ports
committer to commit some things that are really useful to get committed (e.g.
the librewolf port) and as with all human organizations there exists just a bit
of favoritism and politics. (Organizations claiming to be free of those two
ideas are generally -more- suspect than those who chalk it up to the human
factor.)

Open source has to be open, not just to new ideas, but in a manageable way to
people's needs ... failing to do these things isn't some transgression, it just
means people won't use open source. I can never tell if this is something "the
freebsd community" wants or not, but there has certainly been discussion both
ways.

> 	Some do of course and that's why things happen but IME most of the
> bitterly complaining do none of the above and expect someone else to solve
> their problem or they point to where it's already solved and get surprised
> when people suggest they use the solution that exists.
> 	Bottom line if you want "the FreeBSD developers" to do something
> they're not doing then you need to find and motivate some more developers,
> not harangue the people giving their time for free because if it stops
> being fun for them they'll stop doing it.

Some of those people who have the expectations and bitterness you refer to
are in that category of people who are never satisfied with anything.
Basing any policy or discussion on these people is the mark of futility.  While
I do acknowledge their existence, I am attempting to leave these people out of
this conversation, and address the people who -appear- to be these people but
who are actually just frustrated with something a dev could spend 5 minutes
either fixing or telling them how to fix. Not every frustrated person is an
automatic troll. To be clear, I'm not complaining here ... I would just like to
express my wish for more benevolence and toleration from FreeBSD devs, if not
humanity in general (a much harder problem).
--
Dave Hayes - Consultant - LA CA, USA - dave@dream-tech.com

Due to confusion, people mistake things for themselves;
covetousness flares up, and they get into vicious cycles
that cloud perceptions and enshroud them in ignorance. The
vicious cycles go on and on, and people cannot be free.