Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 1995 10:56:54 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brad Midgley <junkmail@pht.com>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        brad@pht.com
Subject:   Appletalk support...

With all this talk of IPX support, I'd like to hear where AppleTalk (for
netatalk) kernel support is now.  I suppose it'll have to be patched into
the final 2.1...?  what about the 3c509 patches mentioned below?

This is the last I'd heard of it in freebsd.misc on 25 sept, from
kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu (I'm not sure if steven kargl or mark
dawson are watching this list)

Mark Dawson <md@dcs.qmw.ac.uk> provided the port of netatalk to FreeBSD.
His original port worked on 2.0.5-RELEASE.  I tried it on 2.0.5-STABLE
and sent him a couple of small diffs.  Netatalk works on a STABLE system
with a few caveats:

(1)  Your ethernet card must support multicast.  I have a 3c509, so
I had to dig up a multicast patch that Sege Babkin's has for the
ep0 device driver.   With the patch applied, I get sporadic error
message to the console "Ep0: Status: 2002 (input buffer overflow)".
However, I haven't noticed any damaged files.

(2)  I get an error "ddp_route: oops" periodically on the console. I've
located the source of the error, but I do not know what the fix is (or
even if this is a problem).  Again, I have not notice any corruption of
files.