Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 02:49:11 +0900
From:      Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au
Cc:        nnd@mail.nsk.ru, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'machine/param.h' required for 'sys/socket.h'

> > I feel requesting inclusion of machine/param.h for any apps
> > which use socket is better. But if there are any other smarter
> > solution, please let me know and I'll appreciate it much.
>
> <machine/param.h> should never be included by applications since
> it is an implementation detail.
>
> Specify including <sys/param.h> in apps which use the CMSG*() macros.
> <sys/socket.h> doesn't depend on <*/param.h> unless these macros are used.
> Since these macros are undocumented, applications that use them should
> expect problems :-).
>
> Bruce

After reading bmah's message, now I am inclined to including
machine/param.h from sys/socket.h for maximum portability, if
there is no spec for it, and if all other platforms doing it.

Of course, I think enough testing for it is necessary.  I can
test make world for it. And if it is OK, then I think it
should be once just committed and checked if any other ports
build problem happens for it, or any other person claim
another problem.

Any more comments for this approach?

Yoshinobu Inoue