Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 19:31:41 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        luomat+freebsd+hackers@luomat.peak.org (Timothy J Luoma)
Subject:   Re: NBQ: Why partitioning? (was: Re: Partitioning suggestions?)

As Jonathan Mini wrote:

>   There are your reasons. :) I'm sure there are probably more.

Well, having installed a new central server in our company last
weekend, i had to find that i ran out of partition slots on the first
disk to satisfy all my wishes. ;-)  I've solved the problem by making
/tmp not a separate disk filesystem, but MFS instead.  (I'm not very
fond of MFS, for a number of reasons.)

I wished we would support 16 partition slots at least as an
alternative to the backwards-compatible 8 slot model.

The main reason for having multiple filesystems is that the unix
kernel decides many things on a per-filesystem basis: mount flags
describing the basic properties of the filesystem (read/only vs.
read/write, async metadata updates, allowed to execute something at
all, allowed to have /dev nodes, allowed to execute setuid binaries,
etc. pp.), and NFS exportation come to mind.  I understand that this
is just a kernel optimization.  It's sheer impossible inside the
kernel, to find out for a particular vnode whether it's the part of a
given tree subhierarchy.  However, finding out about which filesystem
you're mounted from is very simple.  So if something like the
mentioned features are to be applied to a particular subtree, binding
them to a filesystem seems to be the best compromise given the
historical structure of the unix filesystem.

--
cheers, J"org