Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2017 10:18:39 +1000
From:      Dewayne Geraghty <dewayne.geraghty@heuristicsystems.com.au>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>, "Morse, Richard E.,MGH" <REMORSE@mgh.harvard.edu>
Cc:        "freebsd-ports@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Configuring options/knobs without `make config`

Richard,
I'm unsure of how you're planning on using the information, perhaps
these suggestions may help:

To examine what options are available, chosen or rejected (note: the
value of CATEGORY and PORT must be in lowercase):
make -C /usr/ports/$CATEGORY/$PORT -VPORT_OPTIONS -VSELECTED_OPTIONS
-VDESELECTED_OPTIONS

If you're after consistency, then I would suggest that you use
/etc/make.conf to ascribe the options that you want for each of the ports.

For example, using mail/dovecot2:
mail_dovecot2_SET=LZ4 KQUEUE SSL
mail_dovecot2_UNSET=BDB PGSQL

I'll reiterate that I don't interactively set port options on anything,
so no "make config".  I use a tool called ports-mgmt/portconf to manage
my ports. I can't recommend the tool as I do some preprocessing to align
with port devs requirements, currently
$CATEGORY_$PORT_[SET|UNSET]=
if in /etc/make.conf or on the command line by
[WITH|WITHOUT]=

Enjoy.
Dewayne