Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2006 16:52:24 +0100 (BST)
From:      Chris Hedley <cbh-freebsd-current@groups.chrishedley.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   aac0: COMMAND 0xffffffffxxxxxxxx TIMEOUT AFTER xx SECONDS

I've been receiving this message quite a lot lately if I put my Adaptec
2410SA aac controller under really heavy load.  A quick look at the
archives suggests that it used to be a problem a couple of years ago, but
was apparently fixed.  Personally I've had no bother with it until a few
months ago when I upgraded my version of -CURRENT, at which point it
started misbehaving.

The process which seems pretty much guaranteed to cause it aggravation is
Hercules, when I use it to IPL VM/370 the aac filesystems hang (and it
eventually brings down ahc and fxp too, with complaints that "interrupts
may not be functioning") and stays there until I kill off the process or
press the reset button.

Any ideas what might've changed to make this problem resurface?

I'm also wondering if I might not be better off actually replacing the
card with something better, or at least something better suited to
FreeBSD: with the discs' and controller's write-caching turned off, the
2410SA is s-l-o-w, about 6MB/s for contiguous writes to an array (either
RAID-5 or RAID-10) (benchmarked using the admittedly somewhat crude "dd
various block sizes to/from a /dev entry" technique), although reads are
acceptable at ~50-60MB/s, if not especially earth-shattering.  Any
suggestions (for something inexpensive!  If money were no object I'd've
gone for a SCSI-only system), or might I just as well stick with the
2410SA?

Cheers,

Chris.