Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2017 20:02:28 -0400
From:      Thomas Laus <lausts@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: openbsd 6.0 or 6.1 guest on freebsd-12 (current) host

Jason Tubnor [jason@tubnor.net] wrote:
> On 6 September 2017 at 03:21, tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:
>

> > I'd like to run openbsd 6.0 or 6.1 guest under a 12-current bhyve
> > system. I'd like it to run two cpus, so to use the openbsd smp kernel. I
> > can see, from searching various mailing lists that there have been
> > issues in getting openbsd to boot. Have these issues been fixed?

There is a bug in the early Intel Skylake CPU series.  The Silicon
Debug (SDBG) flag is turned on as a default and this causes the
OpenBSD 6.1 .iso to refuse installation.  This issue was fixed for the
later production Skylake and the Kabylake processors that
followed. Look at the CPU flags in your computer.  If one of them is
SDBG, you won't be able to install OpenBSD 6.1.  OpenBSD 6.0 doesn't
check for this CPU feature and should install OK.  The HardenedBSD
project has a fix, but it has not been brought into FreeBSD CURRENT.
Intel has provided a fix for the BIOS companies but mine (ASUS) has
not updated their BIOS.  I have a Kabylake processor and a new
motherboard on order and will re-purpose my Skylake sytem.

Tom

--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1