Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:25:22 +0100
From:      des@des.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'kern.maxpipekva exceeded' messages...

Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com> writes:
> There is a limit, no single pipe can grow beyond BIG_PIPE_SIZE, which is
> presently defined as 64K.  Well, unless there is a leak, of course. :)

The backup script uses exactly *one* pipe (between dump and ssh), and
that one pipe seems to make all the difference between using barely
300 kB pipe kva, and hitting the 8 MB limit...

> Is it really crashing?  That's not supposed to happen. :(

Yes, it crashes when it runs out of pipekva.  I wasn't there when it
happened, but I did get a frantic phone call asking what to do :|

> [snip lots of useful details and suggestions]

I'll see what I can do; with a little luck I'll have initial patches
ready over the weekend.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no