Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2022 10:08:28 -0500
From:      George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Outdated ports

On 1/1/22 09:58, Michael Fiano wrote:
> Forgive me if this is not the correct forum.

Totally the correct forum.

> I've only been using FreeBSD for a a couple months after a couple decades of Linux, and I noticed some popular projects have ports that are severely out-dated:
>
> sysutils/dunst is behind 5 releases, nearly a year old.
> x11/rofi is behind 4 releases, more than a year old.
>
> There were some others too, but these are the ones I remember. I was under the impression that ports were kept fairly up to date. I am also aware that this is  volunteer work and someone might have to be nudged. Can someone point me to the correct approach here? [...]

In the best of all possible worlds, learn how to initiate the update
yourself.  This can be anywhere from trivial to hugely difficult.
It might be as simple as updating the port's Makefile to specify
the latest DISTVERSION (and updating the associated distinfo file).
Or it might lead to updating a rat's nest of patch files if the
upstream version of the port is highly dependent on operating system
dependent quirks.

Try one out and see.  And welcome aboard!                  -- George