Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2013 21:25:39 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
To:        George Neville-Neil <gnn@neville-neil.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, "devsummit@freebsd.org" <devsummit@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Beyond Buildworld Dev Summit Working Group Report

On Jun 9, 2013, at 2:02 PM, George Neville-Neil wrote:

> Howdy,
>=20
> The Beyond Buildworld working group discussed many subjects around our =
build system, including
> upcoming changes to do a better job of addressing embedded systems, =
the integration of bmake,
> and the need for better incremental build support.  The full notes are =
on the wiki and=20
> also pasted at the bottom of this email.
>=20
> Best,
> George
>=20
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/201305DevSummit/Buildworld
>=20
> This section includes volunteers or contact points as links.
>=20
> 	=95 uboot ports [DianeBruce]
> 	=95 compiler patches vs. gccc on Linux [TimKeintzle]

Diane helped me put together a first port for U-Boot
(BeagleBone with EABI).  Still need to get it committed,
then use it as a template for other U-Boot ports.
(E.g., RPi, ZedBoard, etc.)  If other folks are working
on U-Boot patches to boot FreeBSD on other hardware,
it would be nice to get those into ports as well.

> 	=95 ubloader not on ELF [Ian]

I looked into making ubldr self-relocating (so that it
could just be loaded at an arbitrary address and run
without modification).   Enabling PIC in the compiler goes
a long ways, but the loader libraries rely heavily on static data
references to code.  These would have to either be rewritten
or generated at run-time to make the whole loader able to
run at an arbitrary address.

> 	=95 Crochet with VM images [TimKeintzle], [GlenBarber], =
[ColinPercival]

Per Colin, there's no way for "mere mortals" to upload machine
images to Amazon, so there's little point in pursuing that.

I did recently add support to Crochet for building VMWare VM images
directly.  Works pretty well; I've been using it to build throw-away
images for testing.  This goes a step further than what Glen
has recently announced; so far, he's just building the VMDK disk
image, Crochet fills in the rest of the VM configuration files.

It should be routine to duplicate the approach to support other
VM environments (e.g., Parallels, VirtualBox, OFA).  My time is
limited but I'm happy to assist if someone else wants to work on it.

Tim