Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:55:41 +1000 (EST)
From:      Iain Templeton <iaint@css.tuu.utas.edu.au>
To:        Todd Backman <todd@c523578-a.sttls1.wa.home.com>
Cc:        Andrew Johns <ajohns@TurnAround.com.au>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel funk?

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Todd Backman wrote:

> Thanks in advance!
>
> I am having the following difficulties:
>
> [ ... ]
>
> You must first build your kernel before trying to install.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> -------------------
>
> Make is not working...
>
> Anyone run into this before?

Yes actually, I was completely confused for a while... You'll find that
there is no target in the makefile called kernel...

You've left out a very important line in the kernel configuration file ...
(although the root on bit might be a bit different).

config	kernel root on wd0

I suspect that the config program, when it builds the makefiles looks at
that line to get the kernel name...

Iain.

--
Iain Templeton, Computer Science Society sysadmin
	BE (Computer Systems Engineering) 4th year