Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 12:18:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Stephen D. Spencer" <bsd-isp@artorius.sunflower.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        frank segner <frank@blabla.ip.lu>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: INN 1.7.2 & Device Not Configured error

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> Is there a certain reason, why 2.1 is available since July 98
> and the information on the webserver still is based on 2.0 and
> pointing to snapshot releases ?

--abjectly unoffical commentary mode ON--

I ran 2.1 for about 3 weeks until the number of complaints about timeouts
on XOVER forced me to return to 1.7.2.  I have continued, however, to
follow the isc mailing list on what's been going on with 2.1 "release".
Though it was called a "release" version, it appears that that label has
been grain-of-salted as most of the traffic concerning fixes and whatnot
have concerned the development snapshots.  2.1 will actually compile
(whereas there are problems with 2.0 at that stage); however, the
functionality issues are such that it would be impossible to keep a port
for INN 2 current and working.  There were a couple times when I was
following the snap tree that the configuration files changed.  It will be
a fine work once it is completed, but the folks working on it need more
time.  At that time it will hopefully be ready for production level
servers.

--abjectly unoffical commentary mode OFF--

Regards,
Stephen