Date:      Tue, 03 Nov 1998 01:05:58 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "William S. Duncanson" <caesar@starkreality.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Err...something fishy going on in top.

>I rebuilt world a couple of hours ago, from a cvsup at around 8:30 CST
>tonight.  When I rebooted, the box seemed slower than it should have been.
>To make a long story short, in the process of doing stuff, I noticed that
>whenever there's heavy disk i/o, instead of the amount of memory dedicated
>to cache increasing, the amount of memory being listed as inactive was
>increasing.  Huh?  I'm confused.  Right now, it looks like none of my
>memory is being used for file cacheing, even though I have > 32 MB free.
>What am I missing?

   You're missing what it all actually means. "cache" is a queue, not an
indication of caching. The same is also true for "active", "inactive", and
"free" - they are just various page queues that the system moves pages
between depending on their priority. A change was made recently so that
cached file pages are always put onto the inactive queue rather than just
some of the time (they previously would also be put onto the cache queue).
This actually improves performance because it keeps the pages better LRU
sorted. When memory becomes short, the pagedaemon will move the pages to
the cache queue (and then to the free queue) as needed. This will not
significantly increase CPU usage and will increase overall system
performance by a measurable amount.

-DG

David Greenman