Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:01:51 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ifmcstat(8) setgidness

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 06:29:15PM -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> > > I don't follow.  Yes, it needs access to kmem to work.  However, I
> > > don't see why anyone other than root would need to run it, so why is
> > > it setgid?  root can access kmem either way.
> > >
> > Could you please elaborate on why it should be restricted to root only?
>
> Because it looks like it doesn't provide any information that anyone
> other than the administrator would find useful (if I'm seeing things,
> please let me know), and the less setgid programs in the system the
> better our overworked security officer(s) sleep at night :-).

Then why not make it installed with BINMODE=550 at least?

> > OpenBSD's and NetBSD's commitlogs are too terse.
>
> This is quite an understatement!

I meant these particular logs.  If you don't find these terse, my apologies:

: revision 1.2
: date: 2001/06/23 00:50:33;  author: deraadt;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -1
: only root need apply

: revision 1.2
: date: 2001/06/26 17:10:33;  author: itojun;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
: drop setgid.  suggested by deraadt

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,