Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 12:33:33 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        chris@cian.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can I spread on directory over several disks?

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999 chris@cian.net wrote:

> Hi,
> I have an Adaptec SCSI 2940UW controller card that is to run a web server,
> the disks available seem to go no bigger than 18+ GB and so I need to spread
> on or two directorys across the disks. However, I'm not planning to use RAID
> so please don't suggest that ... like to use the hardware I already have. Is
> there a suitable software alternative (free/payware) ?

RAID != new hardware ... personally, I've yet to see/find a good RAID
controller, so tend to use software RAID exclusively...

FreeBSD comes with both CCD and vinum...I belive vinum is becoming the
"software of choice" as far as RAID under FreeBSD is concerned though, as,
from what I was able to tell, its more featured...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org