Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2023 18:37:01 +0200
From:      Ronald Klop <ronald@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems on new -current install with pkg/ssl

On 7/9/23 18:27, void wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 09, 2023 at 05:17:38PM +0100, void wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On a fresh 14-current install (main-n263444-653738e895ba)
>> I try to use pkg for anything and this error
>> happens:
>>
>> # pkg install doas
>> The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
>> Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
>> Bootstrapping pkg from pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:14:amd64/latest, please wait...
>> Verifying signature with trusted certificate pkg.freebsd.org.2013102301... done
>> Installing pkg-1.19.2...
>> Newer FreeBSD version for package pkg:
>> To ignore this error set IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes
>> - package: 1400092
>> - running kernel: 1400090
>> Ignore the mismatch and continue? [y/N]: y
>> Extracting pkg-1.19.2: 100%
>> ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.30" not found, required by "pkg"
>>
>> How can I fix?
>
> I was able to fix this by downloading https://download.freebsd.org/ports/ports/ports.tar.xz
> manually to /usr and building from the ports tree

If you upgrade your FreeBSD 14 to the latest version it will work also. OpenSSL 3.0 is imported into 14 which gives a small overlapping time window in which users can still be running older FreeBSD versions with OpenSSL 1.1.1 while the official pkg repo compiles using 3.0.

After you upgraded FreeBSD please make sure to upgrade pkg to use openssl3.0 before you run "make delete-old-libs".

Regards,
Ronald.