Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:49:30 +0200
From:      Martin Krzysiak <mak@irb.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Console login only for root after ISO-image-update to 4.4

I cannot login as a standard user to my workstation.
It says something like: "Root directory not found",
but my root directory is ok and my user directory, too.

And I can use kdm from the root account to login to any
account, but it's annoying and kdm doesn't start
automatically after the update to 4.4.

I had to remove it from /etc/ttys and start it manually
by typing "kdm -nodaemon" by myself.

I cannot find the new png package which is needed
for kde-2.2 either. The dependencies seem to be
all wrong there. Also missing configuration files for
the new kdm. The old one took the configuration from
somewhere else. What's happened here?

I'm quite confused now. Anyone can help me?

Martin