Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 1995 22:13:37 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
To:        jkh@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/pkg_install/create create.h main.c perform.c pkg_create.1

(Copied from the commit list; thus quoted in entirety)

 * Date: Sun, 9 Apr 1995 08:05:02 -0700
 * From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
 *
 * jkh         95/04/09 08:05:02
 *
 *   Modified:    usr.sbin/pkg_install/add add.h main.c perform.c
 *                usr.sbin/pkg_install/create create.h main.c perform.c
 *                         pkg_create.1
 *   Log:
 *   Add true support for dependency lists.
 *
 *   1. pkg_create now has a -P argument for specifying dependencies on the
 *   command line.
 *   2. pkg_add will honor dependencies and chain-load them automatically if
 *   it finds the required package(s) in the same directory as the package
 *   that is being loaded.  For best results, install packages from a directory
 *   containing all the packages you'll possibly need
 *   (like /usr/ports/packages/all).

This looks great.  Thanks!

 *   2 remaining flaws:
 *
 *   1. pkg_add looks in one place (where you were when you loaded the primary
 *   pkg) for depended packages.  If you can come up with a search path scheme
 *   that's not a total hack - be my guest!

What about "." and "/usr/ports/packages/all"?  Or maybe "../all" too.
That should be pretty much all we can guess, I think.

 *   2. Recursive dependency expansion can result in the name of a dep being
 *   listed more than once.  This doesn't bother pkg_add since it checks
 *   for package existance with pkg_info and will skip already-loaded packages.
 *   I don't know how/if pkg_delete handles this yet, however.  I need to look
 *   into it.

You mean you want to change pkg_delete to do recursive deletes?  I'm
not so sure about that.  Some users will be mighty upset if she says
pkg_delete piewm-1.0 and she loses her libXpm.... ;)

By the way, I see that pkg_add automatically traces the chain of
dependencies (simply because, well, it calls pkg_add recursively ;).
However, your modification to bsd.port.mk also recersively checks the
dependencies when it generates the list of package names it gives to
pkg_create.  Can't we let only pkg_add worry about it, and take out
the recursive part from bsd.port.mk?

Satoshi