Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 11:02:22 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hans@artcom.de (Hans Huebner), julian@ivision.co.uk, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 12.0 GB Quantum Bigfoot TX IDE seen as 8.4 GB

> Erhm, this is not in the 2.2-stable charter folks, the patches that
> should go into 2.2-stable should only be bugfixes etc, the next thing
> is that somebody wants the SMP code into 2.2-stable...

Erm.  Supporting hardware, especially mainstream hardware (and large
IDE drives are getting so cheap as to constitute mainstream), is well
within the 2.2-stable charter and I'd be just as happy to add support
for ATAPI CDRs (hint :) to 2.2.x since many many people ask for them.

2.2.x-stable has to be stable, this is indisputable, so features which
do not benefit the user base at large, are highly experimental or
cover something which is just too inconsequential to even risk a
change over are certainly where the "line should be drawn."

Failure to use all of a popular disk drive or rejecting a new driver
which does not impact the old drivers (especially when such don't even
exist :) is overly conservative, however, and not what -stable is
about either.

- Jordan