Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2012 16:52:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, Erich <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>, Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.ORG>,  freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>, Chris Nehren <apeiron+freebsd-stable@isuckatdomains.net>
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com> wrote:
 > The current status is that we support 8.x and 9.x well.  Ports support
 > for 7.x is starting to fade over time as new upstream releases rely
 > on newer APIs.  6.x went EOL 11/30/2010 and we no longer claim to
 > support it in ports.

FWIW ...  In fact, I can confirm that the ports don't support
6.x anymore since last week.  :-)

# cd /usr/ports/dns/bind96
# make
No closing parenthesis in archive specification
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.options.mk", line 177: Error in archive specification: "WITH_"
No closing parenthesis in archive specification
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.options.mk", line 177: Error in archive specification: "WITH_"
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

Best regards
   Oliver

"C++ is the only current language making COBOL look good."
        -- Bertrand Meyer