Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 09:52:30 +0100 (CET)
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirk.vangulik@jrc.it>
To:        kent@iastate.edu
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Notebook install

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Kent Vander Velden wrote:

>   Hi.  I would like to install FreeBSD on a Digital HiNote 745.

Installs just fine.

> I am concerned about the support that FreeBSD has for pcmcia cards.

:-)

> I would like to have a fast ethernet/modem combo card and a scsi
> card.  What models does FreeBSD support?  Will the internal CDROM

If you stick to 2.2.7-PAO (www.jp.freebsd.org/PAO) you'll see that
a lot of ethernetcards, scsi cards and modemcards are supported
just fine. Combo cards usually work in _either_ mode, but not in
both at the same time. This is an issue.

> and floppy be usable?  Honestly, how does FreeBSD and Linux compare

Floppy and CD work fine.

> in laptop technology?  It would seem from my glance that Linux has
> more complete support.  I would like to continue to use FreeBSD but
> if the support is not there there is little choice.

I (personally) find PAO a lot more stable and easier to handle than
a Linux 5.1 installation. For a no fuss user, rather than a kernel
developer that is.

Dw.