Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 19:08:43 -0700 ()
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        Scott Coverdale <scottc@sysman.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk spin down when idle

> I would like to build a server where the disks spin down when idle (reducing noise and electricity consumption). Adaptec SCSI is my preference, bit IDE would do.
>
> Any advice?

	Yes, don't build anything to spin down at all! First, the spin
down and idle thing is a power saving mode, that saves so little power
that turning a 60watt light bulb off for five minutes saves more energy
that having two SCSI hard drives idle for 8 hours! Second, the power up
and power down of the hard drives drastically decreases the lifespan of
the drive. Third, and most importantly, your drives may not come back up
again due to hardware and/or software incompatibilities. Power management
is not a good idea! It causes way to many problems.
	Besides... they're not that noisy, unless you're running 100
servers in the same room, in which case all the fans going is going to
much worse. But, I'd suggest Quantum Atlas III's they seem to be fairly
quiet in general, run them off of a Asus875SC and you'll be one happy
camper.

						Rick