Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2012 16:00:49 +0400
From:      "Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>, Marius Strobl <marius@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: [CFC/CFT] large changes in the loader(8) code

--------------enig09929B86E2E15E68F7B5E8F9

On 16.07.2012 15:31, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> Yes. It should work as before.
>=20
> Well, but it's obvious that zfs_probe_dev would be attempting to do som=
e unneeded
> stuff (trying to treat partitions as disks) for that case.  To me this =
is a clear
> indication zfs_probe_dev is not optimal for arch-independent implementa=
tion.  So I
> still think that arch_zfs_probe should decide what disks and partitions=
 to probe,
> and zfs_probe_dev should only probe what it's given and not try to be a=
ny smarter.
> But I've repeated myself three times already :-)

And we will have the same - several copies of the same code in each archi=
tecture,
which i have deleted...

Sparc doesn't support DIOCGMEDIASIZE and DIOCGSECTORSIZE ioctls,
so it will not check each partition, only fd that is passed to the zfs_pr=
obe_dev.

Currently there is only one problem with ZFS tasting, that can affect use=
rs -
now we taste each disk and partition, but in the my branch ZFS tastes onl=
y disks and
partitions with type "freebsd" and "freebsd-zfs". So if you have created =
ZFS on top
of MBR partition with type "ntfs", then loader will be unable to detect i=
t.

--=20
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov