Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 1999 15:38:17 -0700
From:      Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@cs.unm.edu>
To:        Patrick Seal <patseal@hyperhost.net>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, David Shanes <dshanes@personalogic.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptop Locks up on reboot

I'm having the same problem with my Lattitude (see the similar thread on
freebsd-stable) and I've traced it to the ppc and ppbus drivers. If I
compile these into the kernel then I get the behavior you are describing.
If I build a kernel w/o them then I don't get that behavior. I'm also
tracking -STABLE.

As to a solution, I don't know, but I would love to hear one.

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Patrick Seal wrote:

> > I don't have one myself, but a contact at Dell suggests holding down
> > the power button for more than 8 seconds.
>
> Thanks Greg, but it didn't work for me.  Can anyone tell me what could
> have changed since 3.0R that would cause this reboot problem to surface?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ------------------------------------ _____________________________________
> Patrick Seal                        |"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make
> <patseal@hyperhost.net>             |   really crappy operating systems."
> Hyperhost - http://www.hyperhost.net| -Linus Torvalds
> hosting and Design
>
> http://www.freebsd.org - http://www.linux.org
>

> On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > >     I also have a Dell Latitude CPi. I started to install a couple of times
> > > (3.1R) but had to quit due to some problems that I am trying to resolve.
> > > When I try to quit sysinstall, the screen just locks up. The only recourse
> > > that I have is to pull my battery.
> >
> > I don't have one myself, but a contact at Dell suggests holding down
> > the power button for more than 8 seconds.
> >
> > Greg
> > --
> > See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
> > finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

Colin E. Johnson | colinj@unm.edu | http://www.unm.edu/~colinj/
The scum also rises.
		-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson