Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 1996 17:58:57 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   i386 rep (blah) and interrupts...

Hi y'all.  Have a question regarding a driver I'm (still) working on.

In the read function, one of the input methods I'm contemplating basically
involves

    insw(sc->sc_port,sc->sc_buf,sc->sc_pending);

... which basically translates to the i386 'rep insw' construct.

It's not inconcievable that sc->sc_pending could run to several tens of K,
and what I don't know is whether this construct is interruptible or not.

If it isn't, obviously I'll want to slice it up into smaller slabs.  If it
is, then bigger is faster, and speed is fairly important.

Anyone can comment?