Date:      01 Feb 2001 18:35:51 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
Cc:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: chrooting bind

Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net> writes:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is only a sandbox (run as a different
> user) while this person wants to set up a true chroot environment.
> Personally, I think that the former is adequete as nothing else on the box
> is owned by the bind user.

Are you absolutely certain your box doesn't have a local root
vulnerability? For instance, are you running a recent -STABLE (which
is believed to be secure), or are you running e.g. 4.1.1-RELEASE
(which has an exploitable buffer overflow in the procfs code)? Run
BIND in a jail, or a chroot if you can't set up a jail.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org