Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 16:42:41 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Subject:   Re: NO MORE '-BETA'

At 12:26 PM -0800 3/16/01, John Baldwin wrote:
>On 16-Mar-01 Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>>  Yes, the real problem with this is '2' (newvers.sh), there's nothing
>>  wrong with using 'BETA' in the names on the ftp site.
>
>People who follow -stable should be reading -stable.

A lot of people "should" be doing a lot of things.  Maybe these users
partially follow the -stable mailing list, but happen to ignore any
message with '-beta' in the subject because "they know" they are
running the -stable branch.  As I say, it is only a few people each
release, and it never takes more than a few minutes to calm them down,
but it DOES happen every release cycle.

>  > ~ % uname -srm
>>  FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE-RC i386
>
>Except that it's not a real release candidate.  Which is why we
>don't just use -RC the whole time.

I do think the current "beta" period should have some specific
name, and one which doesn't imply "release-candidate".  I always
thought it was odd to be calling it "beta", because (whether we
like it or not) "beta" implies something certainly less trustworthy
"stable".

On the other hand, I still haven't come up with anything more
inventive than "4.3-pre-release", or maybe "4.3-pre-rel" (just
to be shorter).  Maybe something like "4.3-code-freeze"? Or
"4.3-precursor"?